It is mid-July and that means the height of zucchini and squash season! My Mom was helping at the farm last week (bless her soul) and made this incredibly delicious baked zucchini while she was visiting. She is 100 percent Italian so get your olive oil bottles ready for this one!
Slice your zucchini length-wise as thin as you can slice it.
Mix breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan cheese and other tasty bits and fry it up until crispy and brown on both sides.
Layer with red sauce (a simple marinara will do). Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and drizzle more oil on the top to crisp it up in the oven. Remove after about 20 minutes and enjoy!
- Zucchini, large 2-3
- Parsley, 1/4 cup diced with stems cut off
- 2-3 eggs
- Panko Breadcrumbs, 1 cup
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, 1 cup + extra for sprinkling on top
- Marinara Sauce (make your own or add from one jar)
- Garlic Powder, 1.5 tsps
- Olive Oil for cooking and to drizzle on top before baking
- Butter, a couple tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini in thin strips.
- Mix 2-3 eggs in a bowl.
- Mix breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Dip zucchini strips first in eggs, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of butter and olive oil in a frying pan
- Fry the dipped zucchini strips until browned on both sides.
- Place a layer of zucchini strips in a baking dish. Add a thin layer of sauce (don’t overdo the sauce or it will be too watery), repeat a layer of zucchini, then layer of sauce until all of your fried zucchini strips are in the baking dish.
- Finish the top with a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Serve immediately and enjoy!