We’ve all heard of the health benefits associated with eating beets! They are jam packed with essential nutrients and are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. At Little Bit, we grow three varieties, a traditional red beet, a golden beet, and a variety called Chioggia that are red and white striped.
This salad was made in the first week of June with various ingredients we grow in the field.
Generally I prepare beets by simply boiling for 30 minutes, add a little white vinegar to the boiling water, and leave the skin and stem intact. This helps retain the beet juice. After the beets cool, I peel the beet skin off and slice the beets thinly for my salad!
I add some diced red onion, your favorite chevre cheese, and some nuts. I added chopped walnuts since I had some on hand. The dressing I pair with it has balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, dijon mustard, mayo and salt and pepper to taste.
It’s as basic a beet salad as it comes, but packed with lots of great flavors. It won’t leave you feeling hungry afterward either, I think it’s all of the fiber in those beets!
BEET SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 3 medium-large beets
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1 head of lettuce
- 3 tablespoons Chevre (Goat) cheese, broken up over the salad
- 2 tablespoons of diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- Prep the beets by washing and trimming off the greens (leave a stub of the stem intact).
- Boil a pot of water and add a splash of white vinegar. Cook your beets for 30 minutes.
- Clean the fennel by soaking in a bowl of water to loosen any residual dirt and chop off the fronds leaving only the bulb. Thinly slice the fennel bulb.
- Chop your lettuce head into bite sized pieces.
- Chop walnuts, dice onion and slice goat cheese.
- Assemble all ingredients on plates to create your salad.
- Drizzle with balsamic dressing (recipe below) and enjoy!
- 3 Tbsps balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsps mayo
- 1.5 Tbsps Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake well
- Drizzle over Salad and enjoy!